Postural issues are major contributing factors to many injuries. Injuries related to poor posture are normally caused by overuse that build up over a prolonged period of time. Good posture is a way of doing things with more energy, less stress and fatigue. Without good posture, you can’t really be physically fit. Because good posture means your bones are properly aligned and your muscles, joints and ligaments can work as nature intended. It means your vital organs are in the right position and can function at peak efficiency. Good posture helps contribute to the normal functioning of the nervous system. Some of the major issues which lead to poor posture are:
- Sedentary lifestyle.
- Lack of exercise.
- Poor driving position.
- Poor training technique.
- High heels.
The most common injuries include:
- Shoulder impingement
- The joint space in the shoulder joint decreases causing compression to one or more of the tendons. This arises when the chest muscles become tight and the upper back muscles become elongated and weak causing the shoulder to sit in a forwards position.
- Lower back pain
- Can be caused by a wide range of problems which can lead to diffuse low back pain. The pelvis, leg length and gait of a person can be contributing factors
- Neck pain
- Can be a diffuse pain which can radiate into the shoulders normally caused by working at a desk / computer. It is very easy to fall into a slumped position during a work day. This involves the lower and upper back curving and the neck sitting forward.
- Knee pain
- Can be a diffuse pain around the front of the knee. It is normally caused by poor gait the pain is aggravated by walking down stairs or prolonged sitting.
- Piriformis syndrome
- Also known as sciatica when the pain that radiates down the back of the legs. The piriformis muscle can compress the sciatic nerve leading to the pain, this muscle can be tightened from crossing legs, imbalanced hip muscles
The way to help yourself is to ensure regular exercise and stretching that way overuse injuries are less likely to occur.